When children get extensive dental work done or are generally nervous about being at the dentist, sedation is an option to help them remain comfortable.
Sedation dentistry is a technique that blocks pain for patients undergoing dental procedures. It’s a safe method for children, so your child can have a better experience at the dentist.
Types of Dentistry Sedation Used for Children
There are several types of sedation dentists can give children, including:
- Nitrous oxide: Nitrous oxide, more commonly known as laughing gas, is administered through a tube placed over the child’s nose.
- Oral sedation: Patients take a pill or liquid sedative before the procedure. The oral sedative could make the patient feel sleepy but not fall asleep.
- IV sedation: Patients can also get a sedative through an IV. It’s an effective and safe way to administer sedation to children undergoing more complicated procedures.
Children Dental Procedures That Might Call for Sedation
Children may undergo sedation while receiving dental work for various reasons. They could have extreme anxiety about being at the dentist, so getting a sedative helps them stay calm. Kids may also need specific treatments that require them to stay still, and sedation achieves that while ensuring they’re comfortable.
Some dental procedures a child may get dental sedation for include:
- Cavity filling
- Oral surgery
- Tooth extraction
- Gum grafting
- Wisdom teeth extraction
Dental Sedation Aftercare Instructions
Some sedation methods cause little to no symptoms. Others may cause nausea, grogginess, giggles or loss of coordination. The symptoms are normal side effects of sedation. Ensure your child receives proper care as the sedatives leave their body. Besides the care instructions you may get if your child had an extraction or surgery, you should also:
- Make sure your child gets plenty of rest.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of water.
- Provide soft and lukewarm foods.
Monitor your child’s condition after coming out of sedation to ensure they feel OK and do not react poorly to the anesthetics.
Trust Dr. Nahel Yanni as Your Child’s Sedation Dentist
Choose Nahel Yanni, D.D.S. Family & Cosmetic Dentistry whenever your child needs pediatric dental sedation in East Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. Nahel Yanni is highly experienced and educated in sedation dentistry, offering several services to ensure you find one you’re comfortable with for your child.
Learn more about our sedation services and complete our contact form.