At The Dental Group of East Brunswick, we want to help you have a beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime. Your personal oral care plays an important role in achieving that goal. Start by eating balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks you eat, and correctly using dental aids that help control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease
Brushing Your Teeth – Brush your teeth at least twice a day (especially before going to bed at night) with an ADA-approved, soft bristle brush and toothpaste.
- Place the brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums and gently brush using small, circular motions, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
We recommend electric toothbrushes. They are easy to use and can remove plaque efficiently.
Flossing – Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it prevents plaque from building up, stopping damage to the gums, teeth, and bone before it happens.
- Take 12-16 inches of dental floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, leaving about two inches of floss between the hands.
- Using your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss, gently insert the floss between teeth using a sawing motion.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape around each tooth and under the gumline. Gently move the floss up and down to clean the side of each tooth.
If you have problems using conventional floss or tape, try floss holders.
Rinsing – It is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and after meals if you are unable to brush. If you are using an over-the-counter product for rinsing, it’s a good idea to consult with your dentist or dental hygienist to makes sure that it will work well for you.
Other dental aids recommended by your dentist or dental hygienist can play an important role in your overall oral health. Interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride, medicated rinses, can all play a role in good dental home care.
Contact The Dental Group Of East Brunswick today if you have questions about home oral care or to schedule an appointment with our dentist today.